About Me

My photo
Eagle River, Alaska, United States
I'm just a young man tryin to find his way in these turbid waters that make up this life.

Monday, June 2, 2008

Got Job?

Well, today at around 1:30 pm local time, I got a call from Wal Mart saying that they got everything they needed and wanted to know when I would be available to start working. I told the lady on the phone that I could start today, she said that there was orientation this week from 3 pm to 9 pm every day. So I showed up in by blue shirt and jeans just before 3. There was 7 of us new "associates" (employees, why do that have to give it such a stupid name?). Not all of us work the same area. 2 of the women (one of whom is my age, very good looking and has a super hot southern accent) are cashiers, the only other woman was a "night stocker" (the name Wal Mart gives them, I have forgotten) one of the other males was a prescription drug stocker, and another male was an assembly man and the other male (boy really, he is like 14 or 15) is something else that I have forgotten. I am a "courtesy associate" which means that I push the carts inside, clean up spills and am basically a store "whipping boy" (I am not a boy, and I was going to use another word instead of what is in quotations, but I decided against it, I'd like to keep this family oriented). So today, we played a board game that "shows us how important customer satisfaction is" and watched a couple of video's, clocked in, filled out some paperwork and things of that nature. All in all, it was quite boring. Needless to say, I am not looking forward to being a "whipping boy" for eight hours a day...

7 comments:

The Knight Family said...

Oh James, I am so excited that you got a job!! Now you can buy me a birthday present in New Hampshire!!

The Murray's said...

CONGRATULATIONS "whipping boy"!!! :) Sucky job, expecially in the winter, but hey... You gotta make the money honey! :)

Good job babe, make the best of it...

Aaron said...

Good God! James, semi-responsible? THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, good job on getting a crappy job.

The Murray's said...

Aaron? Why can't I see your site? It just says your name... How are we supposed to know what you're up to???!!! :)

Aaron said...

Because I don't have time, money, or interest in writing a blog, Cyp.

If you really want to keep up with me, you can always call, or write an email.

Dad said...

Congratulations, Mr. Patras. I hope it goes well for you, but be aware of those female night-stalkers.

Love,

"There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen. You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge."
--Raymond Chandler in Red Wind

Dad said...

PS. Somewhone sound like whiner here.

No, the job does not pay $35/hr but you gotta start somewhere. It looks to be a fine first job.

Learn about the working world, learn as many skills as you can, and maybe you can get a better job later.

You must start somewhere, other as a brain surgeon (or is it sturgeon?).

Have a nice day.