About Me

My photo
Eagle River, Alaska, United States
I'm just a young man tryin to find his way in these turbid waters that make up this life.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Mighty Moose

Well, this Memorial Day weekend I went on a canoe trip. For those of you who don't know, my church sets up a group of young people (usually high schoolers, however this year it was mostly college aged individuals) to go do the Swan Lake system in Sterling AK (population: very few). Some years, if there is enough water, we end up going down the "Mighty" Moose river (mighty is ironic). We usually go seven lakes in, camp on the seventh lake for two nights, then pack up and head out. Last year we ran into a Boy Scout leader (nothing says pedophile like a Scoutmaster) who one of our leaders dubbed "Boondoggle". Last year, the spot where we normally camp on the river was taken, and Boondoggle was ahead of us and got the next best camping site. This year, we sent out two of our own, bright and early (7 AM) to capture the good spot nice and early. Unfortunately, it was all for naught because three of our boats (canoes really) beat Boondoggle to the good spot. It only rained (drizzled actualy) one day, so it wasn't too bad. I got a little sun-burned on my nose and on the back of my neck. After we all got out of the river at Sterling, we all went to "Magpye's Pizza Pizzaria" and had some pizza. The vehicle I was in (Weldon Johnson's BMW which he famously paid for with a single check) got back to The Riv (Eagle River, a friend of mine calls it that, and I like it. thanks Tae Freeman) at around eight in the evening. I am so sore from all that paddleing...

1 comment:

The Murray's said...

OH... I miss the canoe trip! So much fun!!!! :)