About Me

My photo
Eagle River, Alaska, United States
I'm just a young man tryin to find his way in these turbid waters that make up this life.

Friday, June 6, 2008

Work work work...

Well, today was my first day off of my job. (hooray!) I am finished with orientation and I will begin my first real day on Sunday at 1 pm. Oh! I also get a bonus of an extra one dollar and hour for working on Sunday! (valid only for hours worked on Sundays. limit one per associate. not valid in the District of Columbia (not really).). So far, I am working Sunday through Thursday, 3 days of eight hours, 2 days of four hours (I think, I know at least two day a week I work less, but that is not cutting me too badly...). I get to find the joys of working for a big corporation like Wal Mart!

5 comments:

The Knight Family said...

Following in your big brothers footsteps... Has Ben given you any meaningful advice about working at the worst place in America?

Dad said...

I am not sure why Walmart is called the 'worst place in America'. Why is that? A little over the top, isn't it. One would have to have data to compare it to all the oper work places in the US.

I would hope there was some personal experience to back up that opinion. Else one is just repeating gossip/propaganda one has heard from someone else.

"The greatest obstacle to discovering the shape of the earth, the continents and the ocean was not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge."
— Daniel J. Boorstin

Cheers,
Dad

Dad said...

BTW, James

Here is a short guitar piece by an Andy McKee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4

You should watch it. He has some very interesting percussive moves on the body of his instrument, like I've seen you do.

"You don't get there by trying, but you can't get there if you don't try."

The Murray's said...

Ahh... Everyone knows Walmart is ONE of the worst places to work Dad! :) They really don't treat their EE's very well (based on many friends that work there, and tell me their horror stories). One friend, has worked there for 11 years. They have been making it harder and harder (trying to push her out the door) for her to work there, so they can hire some young stud (like James) who will work for a lot less pay.

That doesn't mean you can slack on your work James... :) Every job leads to another, and your work habits follow. Just be on time, listen to management, do what you are told, and you will be just fine! :)

Love you all! Cyppy

James Marcel Patras said...

I don't know about the Wal Mart where your friend works, but where I work its pretty fun, most of the managers and/or CSM's joke around a lot. I have a blast at work. Oh and every position has a set pay scale. I get the lowest($9.10/hr) but I do know one guy who started on a higher pay grade.